Saturday, December 18, 2010

On being a new grad...

May 28, 2008 I embarked on 2 1/2 year journey. It was a journey that would show me things about myself that I never knew. It showed me how much I could take, and what kind of person I will ultmately be.  Even with all of the obstacles, I came out on top and now am a part of something bigger than myself. Finally, I have achieved a status in society where I can really do some good for the community in which I live.

I don't want to down being an EDT. It has been by far the best job I have ever had. I enjoy the atmosphere in which I work, the people and the learning opportunities that have presented themselves over the past 2 years. I will really miss being at Chippenham for however long I am gone.  I'll be back eventually, if Kelly will have me, but until then I hope to be able to become solid in my skills as an ER nurse. 

Here it is December 2010, I just made it through one of the toughest tests of my inner strength that I have been through.  I can not take all the credit for my success because I had a huge system of support that helped me through it.  We didn't plan on the struggle it would be to have David join us before my final semester of Nursing school and most people would not have held it against me to take the semester off. Especially only being 3 weeks post op from major abdominal surgery, still in pain , and praying the dr would medically clear me to be able to participate in class and clinical.  The stars aligned for me as best they could for this situation. I thank God, my family and my friends for that. You are the best!

Now I finally feel like I have achieved something meaningful. Not that I haven't been successful at other things in the past. But this was real for me. This was my rite of passage. I feel like I am no longer a child. I have become a full fledge adult who is responsible for my family and myself and everything we do.  I can support them and we can live a life within our means comfortably. It is the most satisfactory feeling I have ever felt. Also while providing for my family, I can give back to the community from which I came.  I am a native of Chesterfield County, VA specifically Midlothian Village. It is a town just outside of Richmond,VA.  I will be working as an Emergency Room Nurse taking care of the sick and hurt in my community.  It is a responsibility that I am proud to take on, and one I take seriously.  Now I can contribute to the community that formed me, and for that I am truly proud and honored ":)

This point in time no one can take this away from me but myself.  I refuse to be treated like crap by anyone any longer, and you know who you are. I am a mother, I am a wife, I am a daughter, niece, friend, collegue, and I respect those who earn it and even those who may not deserve it.  I love my son, and will spend the rest of my life trying to do right by him, and my husband. Will I love you and thank you for the beautiful gift you gave to me late one august night. With out you I would have nothing, and after 6 years of being together and over four years of marriage...I wouldn't trade a day for any other life no matter how glamorous it could or would be.

special thanks to: Becka Morley (mom), William Miller, David Miller, Bob Miller, Cindy Miller, J'nell Carr, Tim Morley, Martha, Charles and Lisa Sumpter, Erin Carl, Kathleen Yancey, Stephanie Jaeger, Theresa Baber, Annette Pruett, Jonathan Pruett, Kelly Wood, my ER family, Karen Shipman (for taking a chance on a little technician fresh outta school),Nikki Aronson, my Jtcc family, Steve and Becky Carlisle, Michael and Rachel Sumpter, the Martin Motley Crew....and those of you who I may have looked over in my haste to wrap this up...you are all so special to me and I thank you for your support, your shoulders to cry on and for just believing in me. I am the luckiest girl in the world to have you in my life.


<3 always
D. Melissa Miller, RN-A

0 comments: